Friday, July 12, 2024

Five Things Friday July 12, 2024

 Here we are with your weekly dose of the nonsensical.

One: Dog Toy Repair

So. Dog toys. The Puppy loves soft toys but has developed a fine sense of just where the seams are in soft toys. Riiip!

I tried sewing one of these toys up with a needle and thread. I’ve repaired all sorts of clothing items this way. With mostly tidy stitches. Puppy pulled the thread right out. 

How about using stronger thread, I thought, upholstery thread. Nice and strong. I used to have a sewing needle set that had a curved needle that worked on tougher fabrics.

I ordered this kit:


As it turns out, the fabric the pup tears through so easily is tough as anything, and I struggled to push a needle through it. Thank heavens for the thimble in this kit.

How about this kit instead, with super strong thread (tastes awful when you do that wetting down thing to get the thread through the needle) and curved needles? This worked much better, but I still needed the thimble.


My days of tidy stitching are either over, or it’s just that the job is a tough one. Puppy has not ripped these back open, though.




Two: Measuring Up

We’ve been measuring our dogs for new collars and harnesses lately. Nothing works better for this than a cloth measuring tape. Somehow, Mr. DOA became attached to my original one, and was reluctant to even let me borrow it ( he will deny it). I got my own nice pastel set, needer.



Three: Cute in the Kitchen

Could I be craftier, you ask? Why no. I’m going to work on my non existent sewing skills by attempting to make these:


Four: On A More Summery Note

Whatever happened to Hire’s Root Beer? With three 90+ degree days incoming, wouldn’t it be nice in a root beer float?


Five: Happy Halloween!

Here we go, pretend it’s fall and the weather is cool, with Halloween just around the corner.



No comments:

Post a Comment