Monday, February 21, 2022

When It Takes 10 Tries To Get The Pattern Right

I mark and print out many patterns. Eventually, I try out some with new stitches that are slightly above my pay grade skill wise. Normally I’d give up, if there's too much trouble getting a good start, but sometimes, I like the pattern so much, I just keep trying. 

In the case of Red Heart Yarns I Love Pink Blanket, I was sure I could master the stitch, after watching several YouTube videos demonstrating the Crossed Double Crochet stitch, which the pattern uses. I knew I had yarn colors that would look nice with it. 

As it turned out, all of the videos have you working this stitch into another double crochet stitch. After several tries, I thought I had it right using a test swatch with Red Heart Retro Stripes Yarn.

Oops. Reading the pattern carefully, and writing it out longhand without the pattern abbreviations, I saw the Double Cross Stitch here is worked into a Space, not a stitch.

Try, try again, and in Baby Pink, I now have the pattern down.



The next step was to dig through my massive yarn stash for the required three pink shades plus a border color, which would never have been black as in the original.



Look at all of those pretty pinks!  Red Heart Super Saver Jazzy is a great choice for the border. It incorporates several of the shades I have.  Seeing all of these together, I want to use them all.  If I do two squares of each shade I have, I'm just one skein short of the sixteen squares.  Unless! I dug through a third time and I have a Caron One Pounder in Soft Pink that is absolutely compatible with the Super Saver Yarn.  Now I can do 2 squares of each of eight colors.  So mathematical!

I have more fun than you do, just sayin'.

https://www.yarnspirations.com/red-heart-i-love-pink-blanket/RHC0502-018295M.html

 


 

My Pink Shades:

Red Heart Super Saver

Baby Pink

Perfect Pink

Light Raspberry

Petal Pink

Shocking Pink

Pretty 'N Pink


Red Heart With Love 

Sweet Pink

 

Red Heart Super Saver Ombre 

Jazzy

Caron One Pounder

Soft Pink

No comments:

Post a Comment