Saturday, January 18, 2020

Coming Up Roses

It’s time for quality winter garden dreaming.  Last season, I casually looked around locally for a rose to grow in one of my now few sunny spots in the yard.

I haven’t grown roses in years. Early in my gardening days, I grew quite a few varieties, favoring “old roses” for their hardiness and fragrance.

Using the”Minnesota tip” method of covering my roses for the winter, I was quite successful keeping varieties safe till spring.  My roses did get rather tall, and more difficult to tip over time.

Although I’ve always thought roses were the most beautiful flowers in the world, they succumbed over time to disease and lack of space to tip, and encroaching shade.

Even so, maybe one? To start?

High Country Roses

Based in Colorado, High Country Roses sell own root roses. This means that your rose is not grafted onto the rootstock of some other rose, it is completely the plant you’re interested in buying.


http://www.highcountryroses.com/




Roses of Yesterday and Today of  Corralitos, CA has a sumptuous catalog of old and new roses.

http://www.rosesofyesterday.com/index.html





Heirloom Roses of St. Paul, OR offers own root roses, modern and old varieties.






Antique Rose Emporium of Brenham TX has a huge selection of roses old and new.






Since I’ve spent so much time away from rose growing, I’ll look at the American Rose Society page to get up to date on rose growing and trends.




Lastly, I’ll look through my old garden notebooks...I have them all, of course, all the way back, and I’ll see what varieties I grew and liked in the past.

Happy garden dreaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment