Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

 


The Classic for March is Little Women.  I hadn't read it in a long time, and as it turned out, my beloved copy, received when I was ill and about eight years old, was an abridged version.  The full novel, in my edition, is 535 pages.

For my re-read, I purchased a Seawolf Press 150th anniversary edition with all of the original illustrations.

The story and characters are charming as ever.  The daily lives of the March family, and all of the inventive ways they entertain themselves, is just the thing to read on a winter's day.

I did not remember the story being so instructive, morally, but with a few exceptions, I liked the thinking.  There's so much love in this family, which they spread to all around them.

I remember Beth being my favorite character, and not caring for Jo so much.  Meg seemed too grown up, and Amy was terribly vain and spoiled, I thought.

Reading now, I appreciated what Meg went through much more, I liked Jo, Beth was sweet but maybe too good, Amy was a spoiled, vain creature who I still did not care for.  As a whole, with wonderful Marmee presiding, they're exceptional.

No comments:

Post a Comment