Saturday, February 15, 2020

Five Plants Anyone Can Grow, That I Never Could

Over the years, the phrase “easy to grow” has equaled dead plants in my garden.   Challenging plants that shouldn’t grow in my zone? No problem.  Here are five examples of “ carefree” plants that shrivel and die when they see me coming!

Money Plant

Early in my gardening days, Money Plant was highly recommended for gardens, with the recommendation that you grow three, of course.  I’ve never liked that rule of three.  You don’t know if you’ll like a plant, or if it will grow well for you.  Who has the space for all those trebles?


For me, no matter how careful I was, the Money Plant never grew, never produced flowers, certainly it never produced those charming white discs.


Perennial Phlox

Phlox comes in so many pretty colors.  I cannot stop trying to grow it.  It might do well for the season I buy it, then it doesn’t return the next year, or it returns but seems stunted.  




Dahlias are a bit like Zinnias on steroids.  Spiky and beautiful, they can make a stunning display.  We won’t tell the tragic tale again about my planting the first Dahlias I ever tried upside down, and it took all season for them to make the turn towards the light and come up.  Other Dahlias planted from potted flowers seemed ok for the season, but not like their pictures.  I’ve tried giving them large pots to grow in. Nope.





Purple Coneflowers

Isn’t this a surprise?  It seems that sometimes I can grow the most basic version.  It never gets large and lush, and more often than not it doesn’t return season to season.  The newer varieties either don’t come back at all or they seem to have reverted.




Ornamental Grasses

Here’s another case where the plants can be pretty the year they’re planted, but they’ll be gone without a trace in spring.





No comments:

Post a Comment