Monday, December 20, 2021

Book Notes December 20, 2021

 Ho Ho Ho! Santa looks rather sketchy.



From PenguinRandomHouse The top 50 Trending Books of 2021. Something for everyone?

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/the-read-down/the-top-trending-books-of-2021/


 

CrimeReads chooses their favorite debut novels of 2021.

https://crimereads.com/the-best-debut-novels-of-2021/


 

Currently Reading:

Leviathan Falls by James S A Corey, the final novel in the Expanse series.  I'm also watching the final season of the Expanse on Amazon Prime.  It is nowhere near caught up to the books in the series.  I wonder how the TV show will end.

For the novel, I'm about halfway through.  I believe the crew of the Roci and humanity in general deserve a  good fate, but I'm not certain they're going to get it.


Finished Last Week:

The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan.  It's tomorrow's review.  I really loved it and bought the next three in the series in hardcover. These are fat books and its hard to hold a paperback copy open.  Reading while eating is really tough.

I've been watching the Amazon series side by side with reading the book for the first time.  I feel the series (up until episode five) has done a great job of translating a long, incredible journey of four friends into a fast paced film version.  In episode five, so many things veer from the story and it's telling, I found myself saying over and over "that's messed up".

I highly recommend the books themselves if you've never read them.  The world is rich, the writing just lovely, and the characters are all unique and well fleshed out.




3 comments:

  1. That Collier's Magazine picture! Those innocent, wholesome 50s. It looks like that one guy might need a Heimlich maneuver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH! I finally read the title. He's being murdered. That makes sense.

      Delete
    2. 1950s elegance! I liked the picture and thought I could squeeze it into Book Notes because it was a magazine story illustration. In truth I just love how everyone dressed up for any gathering.

      Delete