Monday, March 30, 2020

Garden Bed of Yore: Small Raised Bed


My sister came over one day and put the bricks around this bed to make it all tidy.  It does look nice here!.  The little tree is an apple tree.  Zestar?  It seemed like a good spot, and after a couple of years there, it yielded two apples. 

As soon as I saw them I should have picked them.  I thought just another day and two and it will be nice and ripe.

The next day, the very next day, it had a bite out of it.  A rather big bite.  Why did I not toss that and pick the other?  I dunno. 

The next day, the other apple was gone.

Then, we got a shed and the very first winter a rabbit family made a home under it.  They ravaged the trunk of the little tree, and I took it down the next spring.

Everything else survived, you'll be happy to know, and I moved them last fall to accommodate the deck we thought we'd get that would wrap around the corner of the house to this area.  

Maybe I'll plant some things back in the area.  Maybe I'll get another little apple tree.

Here's a humorous thing.  My husband did the twirly arm thing the whole time the garden was in place thinking that water was going to back up into the house because the bricks would hold in water.


No comments:

Post a Comment