Friday, March 27, 2020

Today In The Garden

Since I try to post the evening before, it's really yesterday in the garden.  Time travel abounds.

I unpacked my Stokes order today.  This mini-greenhouse will be so handy in short order.   I didn't take it out of it's individual box yet since the workbench in the garage and my garden shed are still in winter storage chaos mode.  I didn't want to lose any parts.



I'll love this too.  There's a big sticker on the box that says don't open with any sharp object.  But it has a lot of tape.  How am I going to get that off?   I'll have to think about what I can set it on to give it a base that isn't bare earth, which is still cold to semi-frozen.



I got this one for my seedlings.  The long spout and gentle rain-head work very nicely for seedlings.


Good thing I got my order in, because Stokes posted this:






Southern Exposure reported being overwhelmed also earlier this week and had temporarily stopped accepting orders, but they're back up and running.  Hard days!


I'm moving my raised beds around in the vegetable garden to try to maximize the sunshine each bed gets to make for happy vegetables and herbs.  Problematically, I put so many perennials into this area last fall from another bed I removed (in case we got a new deck which we need but aren't getting this year after all, blah blah blah).   I'm going to be moving a lot of plants around this spring!    Some people move their plants around all the time like they're rearranging furniture, but not me.  If it's alive and in the ground, there it stays.  



So this wierdo thing.  I thought it was some broken rubber toy, it felt rubbery.  But no, it's my faithful Victoria Rhubarb making it's way up through the frozen ground on the south side of the garden.



We got all of the potting soil I should need, and a small portable heater for my seed babies to try to warm this room up for them.  It needed to be warmed up for a couple of hours before it's first use, so I set it on the workbench in the garage while I was unboxing and tidying in the garage.  It also needs to be directly plugged into a wall outlet, no extension cords or power strips.  That will be a challenge in this room.  I'm going to have to crawl under my drawing table to plug it in.  I'm wary of this sort of appliance so I'm going to make sure it's safely placed.  It has a fan mechanism which is something seedlings love, some nice air movement.  We shall see.







We visited a small nursery and picked up six strawberry plants and a few herb plants.  I asked about blueberries and raspberries, thinking to have some nice jelly production later this summer, and she said likely it would be after May 1 if those are available.   I'm good now for strawberries and my three blueberries incoming from Jungs.

We had to stop at an extra   place for more hardware cloth.  Good thing I didn't pinkie swear to my spouse that I wouldn't dart off into an aisle, because they had seed potatoes (Yukon Gold and fingerlings), also onion sets, red, white and yellow.  Thrill of the hunt!  We can now veg our way through the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment