Sunday, March 1, 2020

Sunday Dreaming: Seed Season



March! In Like A Lion, Out Like A Lamb.  This refers to weather, of course, but our start today is sunny and beautiful.  It appears the Lamb may triumph this time.

I have done it!  I cranked open a sack of seed starting mix--oh, the heavenly smell of soil.  It is right after bread and popcorn on the wondrous smells list.

I started four types of seeds, just to get the party started.

French Baby Leeks "Primor"

Salad Scallions "Spirit"

Hollyhock Peaches and Dreams

Rudbeckia Irish Eyes

These are all last season's seeds, but I am certain they'll be viable.   I was a tiny bit heavy handed on the scallions, but I'm prepared  to thin as needed.   Somewhere this week I read that you can get Hollyhocks to bloom this season if they're started soon enough.  Fingers crossed!

I have a fair few more varieties of them to start.   I've been trying to grow Peaches and Dreams forever, with no luck.  Imagine if this time I see them bloom!

I think I'll try to start a few things every day till I have the top level of my light stand filled.  If it looks like I'm having successful germination, I'll go to the lower level.

If by chance nothing germinates, I'll go seed shopping.   Planting these this year is part of my plan to be more economical.  I also am unhappy with all of the diseases being passed along from horticulturally grown store items.  It should be a safe and happy thing, eating tomatoes and lettuces.


Leeks


Nicely flattened mix


Hollyhocks
It's difficult to provide covers for these long flats.


The square ones I lucked out on.


I poured water into the trays, then lowered the lights closer.  I'll need to get them down closer a notch or two, I think.


Very exciting!  Grow, babies, grow!


No comments:

Post a Comment