Sunday, October 20, 2024

DOA On TV 10/20/24

 



Welcome to DOA on TV.  I'm actually watching numerous shows right now, and love to share them with you :)


 

NCIS Origins



I saw ads for this while watching Survivor.  I’ve never watched a single episode of NCIS, or any of its breakout franchises.  I like a good origins story, though.  The framework of a military investigative unit appealed to me.  It takes place in the faraway year 1991.  I don’t recall the nineties being so…old. Low tech!  They use pay phones and pagers.  The cars are fun. Clothes a bit cringy.    I looked for reviews and forum discussions of the show after I watched it because I really enjoyed the show.  Ha!  All they talked about was Mark Harmon, and the long running series.  Hmmpf.

I like Leroy Gibbs, just a few months after losing his wife and daughter to a murderer, he’s starting fresh with the NCIS Unit.  His boss Mike is a real pistol of a character.  He’s barely contained.  The woman is the group is a bad ass named Lala, but I don’t like the way she treats Gibbs.  She worked on his family’s murder case, and should be giving him some space, but she goes after him relentlessly and talks about him failing his psych eval, and not being a safe member of the team to work with.  She fears he will be promoted over her.  Then there’s this little teddy bear of a guy “Randy”.  He’s a kind of a perfect, head on straight investigator compared to everyone else.



Survivor   



This season has an unusual number of “villains”.  There are so many unlikeable characters for me.  I’m struggling to think who I’d like to win.  Of those remaining, I think I only like Sol and Kyle.  Hang in there, guys!


Matlock



 The premier episode was as wonderful as the preview.  Kathy Bates is a joy to watch.  What an expressive face, and she modulates her voice so well to take charge of any situation.  Love her husband and grandson.  Of the supporting cast, Matlock’s boss Olympia is my favorite, as she tries to be tough but is a smoosh underneath, and will fight for the underdog any chance she gets.  I don’t think she’s the guilty one in the office.

Great British Baking Show



Up to Caramel week this week.  The baker’s this time around seem remarkably talented.  So fun to watch them work.  As always, everyone is likeable.  My favorite though is Nelly. She’s warm, funny, charming and talented.

Only Murders In the Building



This season is a real slow burn for me.  It’s just kind of dragging.  There's nothing about the making of the movie version of the Podcast that appeals.  Melissa McCarthy was a blast in her episode though.


Northern Exposure season 1  Amazon Prime    



I’ve seen lots of comments over time about how good this show was. I’d never seen it, but found season one is available free on Prime, then you need to buy other seasons.    I was ready to be in love with the show.  The main character, Joel, a doctor who expected better things than being a small town doctor in exchange for his medical school being paid for by the State of Alaska is just a drag. A whiner.  Lazy.  The cast surrounding him is excellent.  I’ll finish the season but would not watch more.  The opening scene with the moose needs to be able to be fast forwarded though, gack.


No comments:

Post a Comment