Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Australia or Bust!



I had a chance to see this over the weekend. I had read a little bit about it but not enough to spoil the plot. I really like both Nicole Kidman and Hugh Jackman, so seeing a film with them both set in their native land was a big draw. Also I liked that this would be a throwback of sorts to the old epic, large type film that they don't make anymore, the beaners. Lastly, Australia is on the short list of places I've always wanted to see.

I'd rate the movie 8 out of 10, probably because going in I had so many positive things I was looking forward to. The film is big, it shows life on a ranch in Australia at the opening of World War II, it certainly succeeds in showing a snapshot of the time and the people.

I really enjoyed the relationship between Nicole Kidman's character Sarah and Hugh Jackman's character Drover. Very good old fashioned stuff.

The plight of the aboriginal people was brought to the fore in a very wise way. They were just wonderful characters, shown to have a very different culture and outlook.

My only criticism would be that the movie did feel long, it seemed that too many storylines and subplots were presented. I thought they should focus more on the everyday life of the people or bring the war story forward and focus on how the characters played out their existences under enemy attack.

Other than that, the good guys were good, the bad guys were really bad, the setting was remarkable.

2 comments:

  1. "it seemed that too many storylines and subplots were presented."

    I did not think that was possible, I like multiple storylines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you can't do them all justice, then it becomes a problem.

    If this were the first entry in a series, those plotlines could play out satisfyingly.

    Since it is not, it would be better to have a narrower focus.

    Unlike some reviewers, I don't think characterization suffered at all. The characters were very distinct and richly drawn.

    ReplyDelete