Tuesday, December 1, 2015

First Time Sewing: The Absolute Beginner's Guide

I found this title recently, and think it may be The One which will teach me to sew.  I have another book on beginning sewing, but this one is truly perfect.

It has a nice diagram of the machine and each part.  Two pages of various sewing feet and what to use them for.

Nice pictures of various types of hems and stitches.

A sewing pattern talking about everything inside and outside of the envelope.  How to lay the pattern on material, pin it down and cut it.

I appreciate the step by step so much. Many books assume everyone knows these things, but alas, not I.

A nice section on hand stitches, which made me look at the book in the first place.

The very first project is a rectangular tablecloth, how beautiful and practical.  All of the projects are things I'd love to make, rather than 20 pillow variations (though there is a pillow.)

The book is by The editors of Creative Publishing International.   I'm not familiar with them, but am happy with their work.


2 comments:

  1. Sounds useful! I do remember Home Ec class, but I can see that if you didn't take it, you'd be at sea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My home ec experience was one of those fear it for life things.

      Delete