Monday, August 30, 2021

Book Notes August 30, 2021


 

Jungle Red Writers, a blog co-written by several Mystery Authors, interviewed James R Benn, author of the Billy Boyle World War II mysteries.  I can't read this till I've read Road of Bones which is out on September 7.  I've pre-ordered it, of course.  Just noting it here so I can go back and read the interview after I read the book.

https://www.jungleredwriters.com/2021/08/james-r-benn-on-road-of-bones.html

I was pleased to see Benn has a cover story this month for Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine.



It's good to be at the top of a prodigious publishing pile, is it not?  Bloodless is on my TBR pile as we speak, so I contributed, I feel.




I often see new books float by in my timeline, so I look up the interesting ones to see if I'd like them. The new book Winterlight by Kristen Britain turns out to be the seventh book in the Green Rider series.  I've ordered Green Rider, the first, after reading reviews wherein the book was almost universally loved.  Published in 1998, I don't know how I missed it.  I may have been reading mysteries pretty exclusively then.



I've only read  The Daughter of Time  by Josephine Tey, but doesn't this CrimeReads article on Tey's The Franchise Affair written by Lady Antonia Fraser sound so fascinating?

https://crimereads.com/how-josephine-tey-crafted-a-masterpiece-of-paranoia-in-postwar-england/


Disney's film Brave was delightful, I thought.  What fun to see Maggie Stiefvater is writing a YA level sequel to this story.



I love that Disney is adapting a series called Nautilus, a "Captain Nemo origin story".  There are few literary figures as fascinating as the captain of the Nautilus from Jules Verne's 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea'

https://www.tor.com/2021/08/24/disney-plus-nautilus-jules-verne-twenty-thousand-leagues-under-the-sea-captain-nemo-origin-story

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment