Sunday, April 24, 2016

Scamp Dreaming




Quite a few years ago, my husband, son and I borrowed my in-laws Scamp Trailer for a trip east to Wisconsin's House on the Rock, Circus World Museum,  and Wisconsin Dells

Those attractions were spectacular, and the entire trip was more fun and cozy for our having our own little home right with us.  We could bring anything we needed along to make the trip easier with a small child.

The only drawback was that this particular model had bunk beds and our son of course wanted to sleep on the top bunk.  I'm certain we tried to provide a barrier to keep him safely in place, but at about 3 am he fell out of the top bunk.  Uninjured, but it scared us all.  Bottom bunk after that with extra precautions!

I had always wanted to camp in a trailer, and by this time we had tired of tent camping, mostly for the cold, uncomfortable sleeping situation.

Although we loved the trip and the Scamp, for some reason we never borrowed it again.  All these years, though, I've pictured us traveling along with our Scamp.  Anywhere we want to go, taking our own time, cozy with our own little place.

My spouse has always been completely resistant to the idea, until recently, something cracked in his Grinchy little self. 

We decided we would like to try Road Trips as vacations rather than going by air, with all of the hassles and limitations involved.  Specifically, we thought following Route 66 from Chicago to California would be a great adventure. 

You might recall the old TV series Route 66 with Martin Milner and George Maharis.  I only recall it vaguely, but I liked the idea of just traveling along this fascinating route.




With an actual trip in mind, and thinking of the time involved and cost of hotels and restaurants, he began to consider the Scamp an option.  We both started researching different aspects of ownership and traveling without hotel stays.

For me, the eternal list maker, this opened a world of possibilities.   What to pack, how to store it most efficiently.  Recipes for cooking over a campfire! 

One of my favorite parts of any trip is making my packing list, with an emphasis in recent years on packing light.  Dreaming of making the most of storage space in a tiny camper, yet having everything you need to be self sufficient....I have been having the best time writing and revising my lists.

Dream With Me!

In our dreams, we're getting a 13 foot Scamp (the size my in-laws had).  There are two layouts available for this size.   One has the bunks up front, but that is wasted space for my husband and I.  We like layout 2 with a bathroom up front.



Note one of the blogs in my roll is called Happy Loves Rosie.  She had her own "vintage" 1952 camper which she decorated so charmingly.



Isn't it so sumptuous?  The vintage/retro decorations, the fabrics, the colors!  See how nicely that afghan fits in.  More motivation for me to work on my crochet projects in waiting.

Although she sold her caravan, (trailer for us non-UK sorts though caravan sounds more romantic), she is featuring the work of others who are refurbishing campers on her blog.  Read and dream!

With this sort of vision in my tiny head, as I was researching I came upon the concept of Glamping.  This is essentially bringing some glamor and bling to camping.  Decorating your camper with real style.  Even if we never get a camper, I am in love, and I'm going to look at pictures of adorable campers in a semi-dream state just forever.

From the Public Facebook Group  Glampers on the Loose








From the Facebook page Casita Divas & Other Fiberglass Eggs:




From the Facebook page Oh A Glamping and A Camping We Will Go:






From the Happy Hour Glampers Facebook page:





Back to my own modest Scamp Dream


We are going to rent a 16 ft Scamp this summer to see if we really like Scamping.  Assuming we love it, we would get our own baby and think of how to personalize it just starting out.

As you can see from the visions above, you can reupholster the seats in any fabric you'd like.  Upholstery isn't quite in my skillset yet so I'd pick the blue shade of upholstery from the factory.


My little sister said she'd make me new curtains if we get one. So I'd like some in a complimentary blue shade, perhaps something blue and white since many of the surfaces are white (I'm dead set against the "deluxe package" which adds wood to most surfaces, and somehow reminds me uncomfortably of a coffin.  Not what I'm looking for!)

We're going for the vinyl floor which seems much easier to clean than brown (ugh) carpet.  Add a cozy rug to that surface.

Add some decorative pillows for comfort and charm.

Make sure the bedding is a nice match, even though it is only out at night.  Inviting is the theme!

http://www.scamptrailers.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment