Monday, June 27, 2016

DOA In The Kitchen: Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup

While making out the weekly grocery list I ask for suggestions for the next week's menu.  Sometimes I get nothing, sometimes something new is requested.  This week, chicken with wild rice soup was offered, and the recipe that was suggested was from Allrecipes.com.


http://allrecipes.com/recipe/23852/creamy-chicken-and-wild-rice-soup/


This soup doesn't take long at all to make, thanks to the quick cooking rice required.  I used Uncle Ben's Long Grain and Wild Rice mix.  I feared the soup would be sort of bland tasting, but it was flavorful and tasted better with every bite.

Served with Vienna bread, crackers for the cracker fans, and slices of Swiss and cheddar cheese, everyone loved it and had multiple bowls.

The only place I varied from the recipe was the part where they have you take the chicken mixture off the burner briefly, I simply turned the heat down to three.

I'm looking for a recipe for another day using real wild rice, but this one will do for a nice Sunday soup for the nonce.


3 comments:

  1. Looks yummy, as soon as it's cool enough here to have soup. :) We're into cold salads right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know soup seems more of a fall/ winter type meal, but I'm looking for light summer meals, and soup with a few trimmings fits the bill. I also add in salads and fresh fruits and veggies whenever I can. And malts and Root beer floats!

      Delete