Monday, August 11, 2008

Favorite Doggie Tales



After years of having both cats and dogs and loving both, I somehow became an avid dog lover. I still like cats, of course, I just don't have one, but I cannot live without a beagle in my life. The illustrious Doggie D.O.A. is my third beloved beagle, with a personality all his own. He is a great dog and has been since we adopted him. His life is all about scent, going for walks, watching tv in the lap of his mistress or master, or snoozing away under a blanket.

Although my son won't read my blog because "he doesn't read blogs", I did get him to look at it one day while he was home and he liked it. He suggested I put the accompanying photograph of himself and our first beagle "Snoopy" when they were babies together, on the blog.

Since I like to tie in a booklist or some librarian like thing to any post, I also made of list of my all time favorite books about dogs, some of which I read and loved as a child, and some of which I read with my son when he was a wee small guy.

Adventures of Taxi Dog by Debra Barracca

Incredible Journey by Sheila Burnford

Carl’s Masquerade (Carl series) by Alexandra Day

Because of Winn Dixie by Kate DiCamillo

Hairy Maclary: from Donaldson’s Dairy (Hairy Maclary series) by Lynley Dodd

Go dog go! By P.D. Eastman

Spot’s First Easter (Spot series) by Eric Hill

Snow dog by Jim Kjelgaard

Lassie, Come Home by Eric Mowbray Knight

Call of the Wild by Jack London

Martha Speaks! (Martha series) by Susan Meddaugh

Shiloh (Shiloh series) by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor

Dog Breath: the horrible trouble with Hally Tosis by Dav Pilkey

Dogzilla: starring Flash, Rabies, Dwayne, and introducing Leia as the Monster by Dav Pilkey

Henry and Mudge: the first book of their adventures by Cynthia Rylant (I have a little stuffed version of Mudge, be jealous.)

Good boy, Fergus by Dave Shannon (another good suggestion by Floating Lush, this is by the author of No, David! The cover picture little dog reclining comfortably in a chair looks very familiar...)

Dear Mrs. LaRue: Letters from Obedience School (Ike LaRue series)by Mark Teague (suggested by the Floating Lush, these look great, I have to track these down.)

Lad: a dog by Albert Payson Terhune

4 comments:

  1. I quite like Good Boy, Fergus! by Dave Shannon, the *original* Clifford, and the Ike LaRue series by Mark Teague. I'm sure there's other good doggy books out there, but that's all I can think of to add.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woof! Thanks, Lush. I'll take a look at the Shannon and Teague books. I was never able to like the Clifford books, and they weren't a favorite of Son of D.O.A., either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You didn't include the Snoopy comics that come in book form or the movie Snoopy come home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adding in the suggestions from the most excellent Reader the Floating Lush.

    Thanks, Anonymous, I confess I did love the Snoopy cartoon books and the television specials. Every once in awhile I find myself singing "Snooooopy, Snoooopy, Snoopy, won't you come home, come home...".

    ReplyDelete