Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Super D.O.A. and D.O.A. Doggie



Tis the season for superheroes! Since I dug my comics collection out of the closet this weekend, it is appropriate that I steal once more from the fascinating Librarian in Black's blog and present Super D.O.A. I've loved superheroes (and have never been hung up on their tights like many people seem to be...) since I bought my first comics for 10 cents each at a local drugstore. Superman and all his friends were my favorites for a long time till I branched out to other DC Comics (never Marvel which seemed all dark and depressing). Batman, Green Lantern (Hal Jordan only!), the Flash and a host of others helped me pass the summers away dreamily. Now, being D.O.A. has allowed me to make the leap to super-something-dom. Yay, D.O.A.

Side Note: Super D.O.A. is somewhat modeled after another of my heroes Swamp Thing. I'm pretty sure I have every issue of Swamp Thing illustrated by Bernie Wrightson. I was incredibly lucky to hear Wrightson on a panel at Convergence (a local Science Fiction Convention) last year. I have most of the Alan Moore issues as well, but there was something very elemental and appealing in Wrightson's version. So, there you are, the story behind Swampy D.O.A.

Make your own superhero!

No comments:

Post a Comment