Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Google Redirect

Somehow I picked up a piece of adware/malware that my Anti-virus didn't have the ability to detect or remove which is likely Google Redirect.

Anything you search in Google redirects you once you click on a results link to an ad site or that goofy site with a big green arrow that pulses "Click Here".   I could not see in my research any sort of viable way of getting rid of it.  Even help forums for malware and anti-virus companies had no real solutions that did not look worse than the problem. 

One interesting thing I did read while researching that would not have occurred to me was that sometimes blogs will have someone asking a question about something like this in the comments and then the blogger "addresses" the issue and in fact the blogger and commenter are one and the same and are either trying to drive traffic to their site or are going to link you to malware/adware galore.  Nice.

You can just use another search engine to avoid the problem or type in the specific site address.

I was going to use Yahoo as my new search engine but I didn't like the results of searches. 

Dogpile searches three different Search Engines for you at once but the search results also did not have alot of relevance to what I wanted to see.

Having read articles on CNET and elsewhere I went with their number one recommendation, Duck Duck Go.   Supposedly not all about data mining as Google is (nosy buggers), but uses the same spare interface and the relevancy of the search results was, dare I say, Google-esque.

No comments:

Post a Comment