Sunday, November 2, 2014

D.O.A. in the Kitchen: Sunday Dinner




I do a weekly menu, and Monday is always Leftover Day.  This means I like a substantial Sunday dinner.

I'm trying mostly new things today so between first time trying and the trickiness of getting everything done at the same time, I could be looking at a really nice meal or a grotesque disaster.





Salad with Homemade Ranch Dressing   http://life-in-the-lofthouse.com/creamy-ranch-dressing/

Black Midnight Cake with Chocolate Butter Frosting  http://www.food.com/recipe/black-midnight-cake-185770
 
Chocolate Butter Frosting Betty Crocker Cookbook C 1969
1/3 cup soft butter
2 oz melted Unsweetened Chocolate cooled
2 cups confectioner's sugar
1 1/2 tsp Vanilla
About 2 tbsp. milk
 
Mix thoroughly butter and cooled chocolate.  Blend in sugar.  Stir in vanilla and milk; beat until frosting is smooth and of spreading consistency. 


Fine Dining Report:

Chicken wasn't nicely crispy coated as I'd like. It was my first try at frying chicken though so I'll try another recipe for the coating.

Scored Potatoes were good.  Nice  with butter and sour cream on them.

Fettuccine Alfredo good but needed a little more flavor, or maybe a half cup more cream.

Ranch Dressing tasty but very watery.  It was in the fridge for a couple of hours before supper so, we shall see if it is better tomorrow.  A bit too much parsley in it I think.

I think the Black Midnight Cake may be better with White Mountain Frosting  (as suggested in the cookbook) but I was a weenie and didn't want to make it.  The cake seems a bit dry.  The Chocolate Butter Frosting is nice and simple but chocolately.

No comments:

Post a Comment