Sunday, September 15, 2013

How to Snuggle Down for the Duration: Householding

A post from Susan Wittig Albert on Facebook sharing a site on how to make Homemade Extracts reminded me of a post I've been meaning to put up. 

How to make Homemade Extracts  from the Commonsense Homesteading blog illustrates the thinking that you can and should return to the idea of a household which operates organically with your garden and the community resources that allow you to live simply and in a better way.  That is my explanation.


If you're a gardener, this opens up all sorts of possibilities for you to be creative beyond the practical aspects of growing and preserving foods.  You can use what you grow in so many ways. 

I haven't had time to dig in and read all about it myself yet, but the long cool winter this year can be spent planning my garden for next year with some added dimensions and possibilities.  These are some of the books I jotted down to read:

Householders Guide to the Universe by Harriet Fasenfest

Homeward Bound: why women are embracing the new domesticity by Emily Matchar

Backyard Winter gardening Vegetables by Caleb Warner

Barnheart the incredible longing for a farm by  Jenna Woginrich

The Dirty life: a memoir of farming, food and love by Kristin Kimball

Made from scratch discovering the pleasures of a handmade life by Jenna Woginrich

I'm sure there are plenty more, and I could be a fiend and request the old Foxfire series from my library.

Since my ancestors were farmers, this will tie in nicely with my family history scrapbooks and help me appreciate the lives those folks led so that I can bring them to life.

No comments:

Post a Comment