Thursday, September 25, 2008

Dear Ray Bradbury




Many years ago, when I was about 13, I knew I wanted to be a writer. Not just any writer, but a writer just like Ray Bradbury. After reading "Something Wicked This Way Comes", and being enchanted by it, I read everything else I could find by him. I was so enchanted I wrote a letter to Ray Bradbury, telling him how much I loved his books, and how I planned to grow up and be just like him, and I'm sure I sought his writing advice.

I've always been a dreamy, goofy sort, so I faithfully sealed and stamped my envelope and addressed it to:

Ray Bradbury
California


I'm certain I thought that everyone in the state of California knew Ray Bradbury, and because he was so famous, the Post Office would take pity and make sure Ray got my heartfelt fannish letter. Santa Claus gets all the mail addressed "North Pole", doesn't he?

It took alot longer than you might think to come back to me, all full of Post Office stamps letting me know they didn't know where Ray Bradbury, the Famous Author lived. In the meantime, I pictured him reading my letter, smiling, and trying to think of just right encouraging words for this budding author.

I am now ancient, having reached the general speed limit this very day. I have an assignment to write a short author biography and ten questions about Ray Bradbury and Fahrenheit 451 for our great Book Groups in a Bag program. I've been using Biography Resource Center and looking on the web for biographical information on him and just haven't found what I've been looking for. I think because he has been my favorite all these years, I'm not finding anything that says what I would like to say.

Maybe I should write another letter, and actually find his address this time.

Dear Ray Bradbury:

Thank you for the beautiful, crystalline prose that infuses everthing you write. Thank you for making your characters likeable and giving us a bit of understanding of ourselves and what an ever changing world can mean to an individual. I'm glad you're still with us. Although I'll never be a writer as I planned, I have been a reader all my life. Reading your books has given me a love of fantastic and beautifully crafted stories.

Sincerely,


Librarian D.O.A.

1 comment:

  1. I love, love, love Ray Bradbury! Especially The October Country!

    ReplyDelete