Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Hand Quilting

I have far more crafts and materials going than anyone could ever use up.  I don't need to know another craft, really I don't, and I haven't an inch of space for anymore craft materials of any kind.

However, in the back of my mind is the desire to make one, just one! Patchwork quilt. I love the idea of using squares of cloth from clothes that just don't work anymore, just a nice reminder via some pretty scrap of material.

As we know, the sewing machine and I are not on friendly terms.  There are books stacked in front of it.  Not so convenient.  Here is the most beautiful quilt I've ever seen, made by our children's librarian for me to take to chemo back in the day.  Machine sewn by someone who is a fine seamstress.  Note the edge, and all the flowers playing to my love of the garden.




I want to put my own quilt together by hand.  I love hand sewing.

If you search for Hand Quilting, you'll get a bunch of sites telling you how to stitch your squares together by machine.  Bonk!

Recently, I was looking for something else and came across the term Hand Piecing.  Good lord, a ton of places telling you how to, from the very beginning, cut your squares and sew them together by hand.   

How is the common ordinary non-sewing fool supposed to think to look up hand piecing instead of hand quilting?   By the way, Hand Quilting appears to solely refer to those bumpy little patterns you can make by outlining shapes on your quilt.

I sort of hoped to have cut some squares for this post, but it has been a busy month and I've been head over heels for crochet.  Writing this has made me want to give that patchwork a try.

I have this cute shirt which doesn't fit that I thought would make charming squares.



Something possesses me every once in awhile to buy those little packs of fabric.  I told myself they'd be good to practice my machine sewing skills on, but I can't bring myself to ruin them.


Something's got to give, right?

Here are some wonderful places to learn the basics of Hand Piecing (secretly to you and I Hand Quilting, because we would be making a quilt by hand, doh.)


https://www.cloverandviolet.com/2013/07/erin-why-not-sew-quilts-season-by-hand-hand-piecing-traditional-quilt-blocks.html


http://www.charmaboutyou.com/2016/01/hand-piecing-quilt.html


https://www.jinnybeyer.com/quilting-with-jinny/tips-lessons/sub-cat.cfm?category=Hand%20Piecing


http://blog.patsloan.com/2013/07/pat-sloan-hand-piecing-made-simple.html


https://www.roserushbrooke.com/how-to-hand-piece-1.html


No comments:

Post a Comment