Thursday, November 23, 2017

The Houseplant Garden

There's a post up at May Dreams Gardens  called My Houseplant Revelation  in which she tries to let go of the idea that houseplants should last forever, since some are able to do so.

Like her, I have two plants--trees, actually-- that have been passed on by others  a Shefflera and a Fica.   I have lost or tossed many others that were gifted or handed down as they suffered various ailments, or hated me for putting them outside for the summer.   One plant I tossed because though I liked it, it reminded me of it's former owner who was not very nice.  See me toss your plant, ha ha!  I feel guilty.

This last season, I determined that I'd like to have a nice collection of houseplants that would not go outside, and I did keep most in, except the trees which love being outside for the summer (particularly the Fica).



Because we were traveling in September into October, I only tried to overwinter a single tender perennial/herb, the Rex Begonia.   Honestly, if you're a gardener, there's almost no good season to travel where your plants and garden are concerned.

Jade Plant

I'm now on the lookout for what might be thought of as all the common varieties of houseplants.   They're harder to find than you think, because most garden centers either close down for the winter or only offer mums and poinsettias in the fall.

Dwarf Palm Neantha Bella (Chamaedorea Elegans)


Problematically, big box stores such as Home Depot have a pretty good variety of selections, but more often than not they come with travelers or ailments that make them not so appealing.

African Violet


I went to a favorite garden center which has a greenhouse going all year, and it had some houseplants of interest, but they looked unhappy, floppy, with little fly things cruising the leaves.  Ick.

Oxalis

Also, the plants were not labeled with the name of the plant or its variety.

Polka Dot Plant "Splash"  (Hypoestes)

How annoying for someone who loves looking for plants by name and variety.  They don't do that with their annuals and perennials, why do it with houseplants?

Christmas Cactus  (Schlumbergera x buckleyi)

Don't get me started on places with tags on very different plants that just call them "Air Plants" or "Angel Plants".


Silver-Nerved Fittonia (Fittonia v Argyroneura)




Arrowhead Vine (Syngonium podophyllum)



Pothos (Epipremnum)

No comments:

Post a Comment