Saturday, November 4, 2017

My Five Favorite Cooking Blogs


I've grown to love cookbooks as much for the writing and stories that are told about the recipes.  My favorite cooking/baking blogs also tell stories.   There are three "retro" cooking sites here.  I find them entertaining and appealing for the bit of historical information they present.  Some recipes seem sort of gross, but different times, different eating habits.  I do like that many of the recipes were aimed at wowing dinner guests, and presentation means much.






A Cake Bakes In Brooklyn


 This is the first retro baking blog I found.  I loved that she would buy old recipe boxes on ebay and at estate sales searching for interesting recipes to try.  She presents the mostly hand written recipe cards, sometimes with little or no instructions and her own effort to recreate the recipe.  It's just such a treasure hunt.









 Smitten Kitchen is one of the first cooking blogs of any sort I read. Everything looks and sounds so good.  There are sweet and savory foods, many fun recipes to try.

TheEnglish Kitchen



If I could get a dinner invitation to any food bloggers home, this would be the one I'd go to.  She has very few things I wouldn't want to try.  

TheMid Century Menu




Recipes of all sorts, that she has found and tried out.  Something to please and sometimes scare anyone.


VintageRecipe Cards



Foods with bizarre names presented with such care from old recipe cards.   In this blog, you are more often put off by the accompanying picture than you are about the ingredients and directions for recreating these gems.

No comments:

Post a Comment