Saturday, March 2, 2013

The Doggy Bone Cookbook by Michele Bledsoe





I've been meaning to make my canine pals some homemade biscuits thinking they would be better for them than the dye enhanced odd things that are also so expensive at the local stores.  I felt I could not make these unless the biscuits were properly dog biscuit shaped.

I finally purchased The Doggy Bone Cookbook which is advertised as coming with a Bone Shaped Cookie Cutter.  I'm glad I dallied because the updated version came with TWO cutters, one large and one small.

I chose the Paw Lick'n Chick'n recipe because I had all the ingredients on hand.  The were fun to make, and simple.  I added more flour than the recipe asked for a bit at a time to make the dough easier to handle and roll out.  Mine might have been unusually moist because I used soft butter rather than the margarine from the recipe.

I made both sizes of biscuits.  Although the small ones are bite sized and adorable, it felt putzier to roll and cut so many of them, plus brushing the small biscuits with an egg and milk mixture was a pain the the patoo in short order.  Maybe I need a smaller basting brush.

Both dogs liked them but one is obsessive about them.  The other might have some tummy disagreement with it, odd though the ingredients are so simple.


Here are the little cuties waiting to be brushed with egg and milk.  Sooo adorable.




The little biscuits fresh from the oven.  They smelled so good I wanted to try one but did not.  Good dog.





The big tasty biscuits.  Very appealing.




Most of the recipes call for whole wheat flour which I didn't have on hand but I'll purchase it today :)

There are 16 recipes to try out.  Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment