Sunday, September 6, 2009

The Fall TV Lineup

In the eighties, when I lived alone, I watched alot of television. I watched much less once I started hanging around with the wily Mr. D.O.A., and even less once baby D.O.A. came along.

In the last few years, I've bought some TV shows on DVD, and I just watch those in commercial free bliss, picking them up when ever I want and returning to the storyline at will.

This was all ruined by Lost, which I had for a couple of years before watching any episodes, then once I'd seen the first one it was just boom boom boom till I had caught up with the series and had to be tortured last season along with everyone else waiting a whole week between episodes. Fiendish.

I'm currently losing sleep watching Smallville till the late hours (for me). I am appreciating as I watch good science fiction based TV, how nice it is to see characters develop and storylines unfold, and to have a bit of time between episodes to absorb what has happened and ponder what might be.

I am looking this season to actually watch some new shows:


V

Moved into a November release, this series is a remake of the old V for "visitors" from another planet series. Starring Elizabeth Mitchell (Lost's Juliet) as an FBI agent suspicious of the motives of these aliens who promise us everything, but mean to destroy us, this is my favorite of the new offerings. It is classic science fiction at its best, with those nasty invaders smiling and being up to bad bad stuff.

Clips from the new and old V!


Looks like good production values and good acting.


German subtitles but the clearest video clip!


Flash Forward

Based on the novel by Robert J. Sawyer, the premise is that everyone in the world blacks out for 2 minutes and 17 seconds. When they come to, those who survive have visions of their future six months from now. The question is, what happened during the blackout, and are the visions real? Can you change what you see for yourself and should you even try?

Since most television shows last 6 or seven years, you have to wonder how the tale could be stretched out that long.


On this show I really like actress Olivia Benford, Dominic Moynihan and from Star Trek(!) John Cho. I just loved Cho as the new Sulu, so I'm ready to like him here as well.

The Forgotten

In the mystery vein is The Forgotten starring Christian Slater and produced by Jerry Bruckheimer. A group of volunteer amateur detectives take on cases where victims are unidentified and they try to find who they were and solve the crimes if they can. It sounds like just letting families know what has become of their lost loved ones is a large part of the story, as much as solving a crime.

object width="425" height="344">

I'm not an NCIS watcher at all but something about the clips from the new show NCIS: Los Angeles with LL Cool J and Chris O'Donnell (Robin in my mind :) seemed appealing.

No comments:

Post a Comment