Sunday, December 3, 2017

Scarfed!

I'm trying to branch out from afghans.  I love scarves (not the kind that you wear on your head, though I have a fair few of those too), particularly in the winter, when just that extra bit around your shoulders and neck helps keep out the wind and cold.  They can look so pretty too.

I'm trying as my first effort a simple (!!!!!!!) pattern that is really all single crochet, which I can do in my sleep.  The pattern notes on Yarnspiration say you can do it in an hour.  Agggggggggggghhhh.   I've torn it out more times than I can count.

At first I was cocky and didn't pay attention to the odd little changes at the beginnings and ends of Rows 1 and 2.

I kept getting this:



At first I thought I had a tension problem.

Then I wrote out the directions in Word, printed them, and carefully carefully followed the directions.

I watched a video.      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RigByUPcrIs

And another on straight edges every time   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWxM8bA_yY4


I've torn this thing out all the way down and have lost count of how many times.  I don't know why I keep trying, except that it is pretty, and I feel as if I should be able to do it.

Carefully following my printout on the rows, I was tooling along one day, and got farther than ever before.  A bad though occurred to me, that I should look just to be sure my edges were straight.  It was going so well I wasn't checking all the time.

AGH!  Nosedive to the center!   Unspeakable.   I was so far along that I couldn't bear to tear it all out so I pulled it back to where it looked normal.



I think I'll need to let it rest for a bit before trying again.  In the meantime, I've found several other patterns that look simple enough for me to do.  Hardy har har.

This is Caron Cakes Yarn, Bumbleberry.  It is so soft and silky, and a pleasure to work with.  Some of the Caron Cakes strike me as being a bit too brightly colored, like clown colors, but this is all blue shades.

No comments:

Post a Comment